French Toast Sticks with Maple-Apple-Nut Topping
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 4 mins to 6 mins per slice
eggs, lightly beaten
ground nutmeg or 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
challah bread, brioche, crusty whole wheat country-style bread, French bread or 8 slices dry white, whole wheat or cinnamon-raisin bread
Maple-Apple-Nut Topping (recipe follows)
Powdered sugar (optional)
- In a shallow bowl, beat together eggs, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Dip bread slices into egg mixture, coating both sides; let soak in egg mixture about 10 seconds on each side.
- In a 12-inch skillet or on a griddle, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat and spread it over the cooking surface. Add half the bread slices and cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden, turning once halfway through cooking. Transfer slices to a 200 degrees F oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining butter and bread.
- If you like toast sticks, cut the slices of French toast lengthwise into thirds. Serve immediately with Maple-Apple-Nut Topping. If you like, garnish with sifted powdered sugar.
cooking apple, cored, peeled, and chopped
chopped toasted almonds, pecan pieces or walnuts
- In a small saucepan, combine the apple, water and cinnamon. Bring to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes or until apple is just tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in syrup and nuts . Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened and heated through. Makes about 1 1/3 cups.
(French Toast Sticks with Maple-Apple-Nut Topping)Servings Per Recipe 4, cal. (kcal) 534, Riboflavin (mg) 1, pro. (g) 15, carb. (g) 80, Fat, total (g) 19, sodium (mg) 284, vit. C (mg) 3, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 249, vit. A (IU) 808, fiber (g) 4, Folate (µg) 32, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, sugar (g) 53, calcium (mg) 187, Monosaturated fat (g) 6, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Potassium (mg) 357, iron (mg) 4, sat. fat (g) 8, Niacin (mg) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0