- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Bake 40 mins
- Stand 5 mins
This versatile casserole starts with eggs, hash browns and milk. Add in whatever meats you have on handsuch as bacon or sausageand cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese for an easy casserole that can be served at just about any meal.
Nonstick cooking spray
frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers or shredded cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
diced cooked ham, cooked breakfast sausage or Canadian-style bacon
sliced green onions (2)
beaten eggs or 1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
milk or one 12-ounce can evaporated milk or evaporated fat-free milk
- Coat a 2-quart square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham, and green onions.
- In a bowl combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare as above through step 2. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Farmers Casserole for 12: Prepare as above, except double all ingredients and use a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.
(Farmer's Casserole)Servings Per Recipe 6, calcium (mg) 212, iron (mg) 2, carb. (g) 23, Fat, total (g) 12, pro. (g) 17, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, sodium (mg) 590, Potassium (mg) 552, cal. (kcal) 265, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 20, vit. A (IU) 534, vit. C (mg) 8, Thiamin (mg) 0, Medium-Fat Meat () 2, vit. A (RE) 0, fiber (g) 2, sugar (g) 3, chol. (mg) 175, sat. fat (g) 6, Starch () 2, Monounsaturated fat (g) 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1