- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 35 mins
- Stand 5 mins
This cheesy casserole is rich and satisfying. Serve it for dinner with corn bread and roasted red potatoes.
prosciutto (about 1-1/2 ounces) or bacon
scallions or green onions, thinly sliced (about 2/3 cup)
butter or margarine
fresh shiitake* and/or button mushrooms, sliced
shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (10 ounces)
- In a large skillet, cook prosciutto or bacon until crisp; drain off drippings and crumble prosciutto or bacon. Set aside.
- Wipe pan clean. Cook scallions in same skillet in butter or margarine over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and pepper. Stir in cheese and the mushroom mixture. Pour into a greased 2-quart rectangular (12x7-1/2x2-inch) baking dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and a knife inserted off-center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Makes 6 servings.
- * Remove and discard the tough stems from the shiitake mushrooms before slicing them.
(Mushroom-and-Egg Casserole)Servings Per Recipe 6, sodium (mg) 637, chol. (mg) 347, sat. fat (g) 12, cal. (kcal) 363, fiber (g) 2, Fat, total (g) 25, carb. (g) 14, iron (mg) 2, pro. (g) 23, vit. C (mg) 2, calcium (mg) 434, vit. A (IU) 1020