- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 35 mins
- Stand 5 mins
This cheesy casserole is rich and satisfying. Serve it for dinner with corn bread and roasted red potatoes.
prosciutto (about 1-1/2 ounces) or bacon
scallions or green onions, thinly sliced (about 2/3 cup)
butter or margarine
fresh shiitake* and/or button mushrooms, sliced
shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (10 ounces)
- In a large skillet, cook prosciutto or bacon until crisp; drain off drippings and crumble prosciutto or bacon. Set aside.
- Wipe pan clean. Cook scallions in same skillet in butter or margarine over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and pepper. Stir in cheese and the mushroom mixture. Pour into a greased 2-quart rectangular (12x7-1/2x2-inch) baking dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and a knife inserted off-center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Makes 6 servings.
- * Remove and discard the tough stems from the shiitake mushrooms before slicing them.
(Mushroom-and-Egg Casserole)Servings Per Recipe 6, Fat, total (g) 25, carb. (g) 14, pro. (g) 23, vit. C (mg) 2, vit. A (IU) 1020, iron (mg) 2, cal. (kcal) 363, calcium (mg) 434, fiber (g) 2, sat. fat (g) 12, chol. (mg) 347, sodium (mg) 637