Killer Tomato Benedict
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 3 mins
- Broil 2 mins
We updated this classic egg dish by adding basil pesto, spinach, tomatoes, and roasted red peppers.
Classic Cup Cafe Hollandaise Sauce (see recipe center)
English muffins, split
purchased basil pesto
loosely packed baby spinach leaves
tomatoes, thickly sliced and sprinkled with salt and ground black pepper (8 slices total)
bottled roasted red sweet peppers, well drained and cut into thin, bite-size strips
- For poached eggs: Lightly grease a 12-inch skillet. Half fill the skillet with water; add lemon juice and dash salt. Bring water to boiling; reduce heat to simmer (bubbles should begin to break the surface of the water). Break one of the eggs into a 1-cup measuring cup with a handle. Holding the lip of the cup as close to the water as possible, carefully slide egg into simmering water, taking care to not break the egg. Repeat with remaining eggs, allowing each egg an equal amount of space.
- Simmer eggs, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place them in a large pan of warm water to keep them warm.
- Prepare the Classic Cup Cafe Hollandaise Sauce. If you like, place the hollandaise sauce in a glass measuring cup and place the measuring cup in a pan of gently simmering water to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, place English muffin halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat about 2 minutes or until toasted. Remove from oven. Evenly spread pesto over muffin halves.
- To serve, place spinach leaves on top of each pesto-topped muffin half. Top with a tomato slice and a well-drained poached egg. Top eggs with roasted sweet pepper strips. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the hollandaise sauce over each egg. Makes 4 (or 8) servings.
(Killer Tomato Benedict)Servings Per Recipe 4, vit. A (IU) 5539, calcium (mg) 202, vit. C (mg) 76, iron (mg) 5, cal. (kcal) 830, pro. (g) 23, carb. (g) 37, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 2, Folate (µg) 181, sugar (g) 7, Potassium (mg) 658, fiber (g) 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 4, sodium (mg) 1203, Monosaturated fat (g) 17, Riboflavin (mg) 1, sat. fat (g) 35, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 707, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 67, Niacin (mg) 3