- Makes: 4 servings
- Start to Finish 20 mins
Basil Hollandaise Sauce (recipe follows)
3/4-inch slices of
challah, brioche or egg bread
sliced smoked turkey breast
fresh baby spinach leaves
shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese (1 ounce) (optional)
- Prepare the Basil Hollandaise Sauce. Keep warm while preparing eggs.
- Lightly grease a large skillet. Half fill the skillet with water. Bring water to boiling; reduce heat to simmering (bubbles should begin to break the surface of the water). Break one of the eggs into a dry measuring cup. Carefully slide egg into simmering water, holding the lip of the cup as close to the water as possible. Repeat with remaining eggs, allowing each egg an equal amount of space.
- Simmer eggs, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or till the whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place them in a large pan of warm water to keep them warm, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, place bread slices and turkey slices on a large baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or till bread is toasted. Turn bread slices and turkey slices over. Broil 1 to 2 minutes more or till bread is toasted and meat is heated through.
- To serve, top each bread slice with one-quarter of the spinach leaves, one-fourth of the smoked turkey and 1 poached egg. Spoon Basil Hollandaise Sauce over eggs. Sprinkle with Asiago cheese, if you like. Makes 4 servings.
Basil Hollandaise Sauce
unsalted butter, cut into thirds and softened
- 1 - 2
hot water (if needed)
fresh basil, snipped
ground white pepper
- In the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks, water and lemon juice. Add a piece of the butter. Place over gently boiling water (upper pan should not touch water). Cook, stirring rapidly with a whisk, till butter melts and sauce begins to thicken. (Sauce may appear to curdle at this point, but will smooth out when remaining butter is added.) Add the remaining butter, a piece a time, stirring constantly till melted. Continue to cook and stir for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes more or till sauce thickens. Immediately remove from heat. If sauce is too thick or curdles, immediately whisk in hot water. Stir in fresh basil, salt and ground white pepper. Makes 3/4 cup.
(Eggs Flo)Servings Per Recipe 4, sodium (mg) 1408, calcium (mg) 172, iron (mg) 5, pro. (g) 36, cal. (kcal) 910, vit. A (IU) 3741, fiber (g) 3, sat. fat (g) 39, vit. C (mg) 8, chol. (mg) 760, Fat, total (g) 72, carb. (g) 31