Bacon and Mushroom Bite-Size Quiches
- Makes: 21 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Bake 20 mins
- Stand 5 mins
of a 15-oz. pkg.
rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust (1 crust)
fresh mushrooms, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
chopped green onions
shredded Swiss cheese (3 ounces)
eggs, lightly beaten
dairy sour cream
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the pie crust to a 14-inch diameter circle. Using a scalloped 3-inch round cutter, cut out 21 circles; re-roll scraps as needed. Fit pastry circles into bottoms and slightly up sides of 21 lightly-greased 2-1/2-inch muffin cups. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet; reserving 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels and crumble. Set aside.
- For filling: In the same skillet, cook mushrooms in reserved bacon drippings until tender and liquid evaporates. In a medium bowl, combine mushrooms, reserved bacon, green onions and cheese. Divide filling equally among each pastry-lined muffin cup. In a large bowl, combine eggs and sour cream; stir until smooth. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the egg mixture into each muffin cup.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed, light brown and a knife inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in muffin cups. Carefully remove from muffin cups; place on a wire rack or serving platter. Serve warm. Makes 21.
Make Ahead Tip
- Note: For make-ahead, wrap cooled quiches in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator overnight. To serve, arrange on a baking sheet and heat, uncovered, in a 350 degrees oven about 10 minutes.
- National Pork Board
- Cram Rogers (Pork Information Specialist)
- 1776 N.W. 114th Street
- Clive, IA 50325
- P.O. Box 9114
- Des Moines, IA 50306
- Phone: 223-2619
- Fax: 223-2646
- Large variation: Let pie crust stand according to package directions; ease into a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degree F.
- Large variation: Prepare filling as above. Spoon bacon mixture into crust and top with egg mixture. Place tart on a baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until center appears set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut into narrow wedges. Makes about 20.
(Bacon and Mushroom Bite-Size Quiches)Servings Per Recipe 21, Folate (µg) 4, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sodium (mg) 98, Potassium (mg) 54, calcium (mg) 50, cal. (kcal) 106, iron (mg) 0, pro. (g) 3, vit. A (IU) 146, carb. (g) 6, vit. C (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 8, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 32, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 4, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0