Asparagus Scramble Biscuits
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Bake 5 mins
- Cook 10 mins
An egg and vegetable mixture is served on homemade bacon and cheese cornmeal biscuits in this hearty breakfast dish.
fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
eggs, lightly beaten
cracked black pepper
roasted red sweet peppers, chopped
Bacon-Cheddar Cornmeal Biscuits, split horizontally (recipe below)
shredded Swiss cheese (3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet, cook asparagus in hot butter over medium heat abut 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove asparagus from skillet.
- Add eggs, salt, and pepper to skillet. Using a spatula, lift and fold cooked egg, letting uncooked egg run underneath. Cook 4 minutes or until almost set; stir in red pepper and asparagus. Remove from heat.
- Arrange bottoms of biscuits in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; divide egg mixture and Swiss cheese among biscuit bottoms. Add tops. Bake, uncovered, for 5 to 8 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Makes 8 (2-biscuit) servings
- Open Face Method: Split biscuits in half and wrap in foil. Reheat in a 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until warm. Spoon egg mixture atop split biscuits; top with cheese.
Bacon-Cheddar Cornmeal Biscuits
- 1 3/4
shredded cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled
egg, lightly beaten
snipped fresh chives
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Using pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until butter is the size of small peas. Add shredded cheddar cheese, bacon, milk, egg, and chives; stir until moistened.
- Turn out onto floured surface. Knead lightly 4 to 6 strokes or until dough just holds together. Pat or roll to 8-inch square that is 1/2 inch thick. Using sharp knife, cut into sixteen 2-inch squares. Transfer to lightly snipped fresh chives greased baking sheet; brush with additional milk.
- Bake in 425 degree F oven 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove; cool on a wire rack. Serves 16.
(Asparagus Scramble Biscuits)Servings Per Recipe 8, Folate (µg) 105, sugar (g) 2, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 2, sodium (mg) 635, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, fiber (g) 2, Potassium (mg) 289, calcium (mg) 374, vit. C (mg) 39, Thiamin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 4, vit. A (IU) 972, Riboflavin (mg) 1, cal. (kcal) 434, pro. (g) 22, carb. (g) 32, Fat, total (g) 24, chol. (mg) 390, sat. fat (g) 12, Monounsaturated fat (g) 8, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 2