Asian-Inspired Deviled Eggs
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Chill 24 hrs
Hard-Cooked Eggs (recipe follows)
purchased creme fraiche, mayonnaise, dairy sour cream, and/or plain yogurt
rice vinegar or white vinegar
finely chopped celery or green onion
grated fresh ginger or 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
Thai chile paste (optional)
Coarsely ground pink or mixed peppercorns, or coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
Snipped fresh mint or cilantro or sliced green onion (optional)
- Halve hard-cooked eggs lengthwise and remove yolks*. Set whites aside.
- Place yolks in a small bowl; mash with a fork. Add creme fraiche and vinegar; mix well. Stir in celery, ginger, and, if you like, chile paste.
- Stuff egg white halves with yolk mixture. Cover and chill until serving time (up to 24 hours). Garnish each top with ground peppercorns and mint, if you like. Makes 12 servings.
- Shrimp-Stuffed Deviled Eggs: Prepare as above except, omit celery, ginger, chile paste, and the garnishes. Stir 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard or Dijon-style mustard, 1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed, and 1/8 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce into yolk mixture. Fold in 1/4 cup frozen peeled, cooked salad shrimp, thawed, well-drained and chopped. Garnish each top with an additional salad shrimp and a small flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaf or snipped fresh dill, if you like.
- It's Italian Deviled Eggs: Prepare as above except, omit celery, ginger, chile paste, and the garnishes. Stir 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon chopped, toasted pine nuts and 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed, into the yolk mixture. Garnish each top with a thin red and/or white radish slice, small basil leaf, or roasted red sweet pepper strip, if you like.
- 5 - 6
- To peel a hard-cooked egg, gently tap it on the countertop. Roll the egg between the palms of your hands. Peel off eggshell, starting at the large end. Makes 5 or 6 hard-cooked eggs.
- Place eggs in a single layer in a large saucepan (do not stack eggs). Add enough cold water to cover the eggs by 1 inch. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat (water will have large rapidly breaking bubbles). Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 15 minutes; drain. Run cold water over the eggs or place them in ice water until cool enough to handle; drain.
(Asian-Inspired Deviled Eggs)Servings Per Recipe 12, sodium (mg) 39, vit. A (IU) 292, calcium (mg) 20, iron (mg) 0, pro. (g) 3, cal. (kcal) 62, Fat, total (g) 5, sat. fat (g) 2, chol. (mg) 113