Eggs Benedict with Maltaise Sauce
- Makes: 4 servings
- Hands On 35 mins
- Total Time 35 mins
What's Maltaise Sauce, you ask? It's just hollandaise sauce with a bit of orange zest and juice added. But you wouldn't believe how that bit of zing transforms this brunch standard.
orange (1/2 teaspoon zest and 2 tablespoons juice)
butter, cut into thirds, softened
ground black pepper
English muffins, split
(3-inch diameter) slices Canadian-style bacon (2 ounces)
Ground black pepper
Snipped fresh chives (optional)
- Maltaise Sauce For Maltaise Sauce: In the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks and orange juice. Add a piece of the butter. Place over gently boiling water (upper pan should not touch water). Cook, whisking rapidly, until butter melts and sauce begins to thicken. (Sauce may appear to curdle but will smooth out when remaining butter is added.)
- Maltaise Sauce Add the remaining butter, a piece at a time, whisking constantly until melted. Cook and stir for 2 to 21/2 minutes more or until sauce thickens. Immediately remove from heat and stir in orange zest and pepper. If sauce is too thick or curdles, immediately whisk in 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water. Set aside while preparing the eggs Benedict.
- Maltaise Sauce For eggs: Bring water and vinegar to boiling in a large skillet; reduce heat to low. One at a time, break eggs into a cup and slip them into the simmering water, giving each egg an equal amount of space.
- Maltaise Sauce Simmer eggs, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until the whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon to a plate; cover to keep warm.
- Maltaise Sauce Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Place muffin halves, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat about 2 minutes or until toasted. Top each muffin half with a slice of bacon; broil about 1 minute more or until bacon is heated.
- Maltaise Sauce To serve, add an egg and some Maltaise Sauce to each muffin half. Sprinkle with additional pepper and, if desired, chives.
- Quick Maltaise Sauce For a shortcut Maltaise Sauce, start with a 0.9-ounce package of hollandaise sauce mix. Prepare according to package directions, substituting orange juice for 2 tablespoons of the milk and stirring 1 teaspoon orange zest into the finished sauce.
(Eggs Benedict with Maltaise Sauce)Servings Per Recipe 4, Potassium (mg) 196, sodium (mg) 541, iron (mg) 2, calcium (mg) 69, fiber (g) 1, Trans fatty acid (g) 1, pro. (g) 14, sugar (g) 1, vit. C (mg) 4, Fat, total (g) 33, vit. A (IU) 1181, cal. (kcal) 410, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 18, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 392, Monounsaturated fat (g) 10, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, carb. (g) 15, Niacin (mg) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, Folate (µg) 57