Easy Herb Focaccia
- Makes: 24 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Rise 30 mins
- Bake 15 mins
Focaccia (foh-KAH-chee-ah) is an Italian yeast bread usually topped with onions, herbs, olive oil, or cheese. Our easy version is made with a hot roll mix. Serve it with pasta or enjoy a slice as a midafternoon snack.
Nonstick spray coating
package hot roll mix
finely chopped onion
dried rosemary, crushed
- Spray a 15x10x1-inch baking pan or a 12- to 14-inch pizza pan with nonstick coating or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- Prepare the hot roll mix according to package directions for the basic dough, using the 1 egg and substituting the 2 tablespoons olive oil for the margarine. Knead dough; allow to rest as directed. If using the large baking pan, roll dough into a 15x10-inch rectangle and carefully transfer to prepared pan. If using the pizza pan, roll dough into a 12-inch circle and carefully transfer to prepared pan.
- In a skillet cook onion and rosemary in the 2 teaspoons hot olive oil until tender. With fingertips, press indentations every inch or so in dough. Top dough evenly with onion mixture. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove focaccia from pan; cool completely. Makes 24 servings.
- Parmesan and Pine Nut Focaccia: Prepare focaccia as above, except omit the onion, rosemary, and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Make the indentations, then brush the dough with mixture of 1 egg white and 2 tablespoon water. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup pine nuts, pressing lightly into dough. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Bake as directed.
(Easy Herb Focaccia)Servings Per Recipe 24, chol. (mg) 9, carb. (g) 15, Fat, total (g) 2, sat. fat (g) 0, cal. (kcal) 88, fiber (g) 0, pro. (g) 3, iron (mg) 1, vit. A (RE) 0, sodium (mg) 113, vit. C (mg) 0, calcium (mg) 0