- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Chill 4 hrs to 8 hrs
- Cool 20 mins
Serve this bright red summer drink with fruity ice cubes. As the cubes melt, the fresh fruit garnish remains.
seeded and cubed watermelon (about 5 pounds with rind)
Kiwi Cubes and/or Watermelon Cubes (recipes follow), or ice cubes
Lemon twists (optional)
- Using vegetable peeler, remove peel from lemons in strips; juice the lemons for about 1-1/2 cups juice.
- For lemon syrup: In a medium saucepan, heat and stir the lemon strips, water and sugar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; cool for 20 minutes at room temperature. Stir in lemon juice. Pour lemon syrup into a 1-gallon jar or pitcher.
- In a food processor or blender, puree half of the watermelon until very smooth. Strain through a coarse sieve set over a large bowl, pressing through any pulp. Pour watermelon juice into the same jar or pitcher with lemon syrup. Repeat with remaining watermelon (should have about 10 cups total mixture). Cover; chill for 4 to 8 hours. Strain Watermelon Lemonade through a colander; discard lemon strips. (If you like, cover and chill up to 24 hours more.)
- To serve, fill eight 12-ounce glasses with Kiwi Cubes and/or Watermelon Cubes or with ice cubes. Pour the Watermelon Lemonade over the ice. If you like, garnish each glass with a lemon twist. Makes 8 (10-ounce) servings.
- Kiwi Cubes: Peel 4 kiwifruit and cut into 8 pieces each. Fill compartments of 2 ice-cube trays with cut fruit. Add cold water; freeze until firm.
- Watermelon Cubes: Cut 1-inch cubes from watermelon flesh. Place cubes in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Freeze 1 to 2 hours or until firm. If storing longer than 4 hours, transfer to a plastic freezer bag or container; freeze until served.
- Watermelon Martinis: Prepare Watermelon Lemonade. Using 2 cups of the Watermelon Lemonade, fill compartments of 2 ice-cube trays or 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm. If using the baking pan, scrape frozen mixture or break into small pieces. In a blender or food processor, combine frozen Watermelon Lemonade, 1-1/4 cups vodka or gin and 1/3 cup melon liqueur. Cover; blend or process until smooth. Pour the mixture into chilled martini glasses. Garnish with a lemon twist. Makes 8 servings.
(Watermelon Lemonade)Servings Per Recipe 8, carb. (g) 41, pro. (g) 1, Folate (µg) 12, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 0, fiber (g) 1, sugar (g) 36, vit. A (IU) 826, iron (mg) 0, calcium (mg) 20, vit. C (mg) 33, Potassium (mg) 228, sodium (mg) 5, chol. (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Fat, total (g) 0, cal. (kcal) 155