Spiced Coffee and Cream Sipper
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Chill 4 hrs to 24 hrs
- Cook 3 mins
- Stand 3 mins
Cardamom and cloves season the coffee used in this drink. It's mixed with ice cream to create a frothy cooler that's great for summer parties.
whole cardamom pods or 8 inches stick cinnamon
finely ground Sumatra coffee, such as Mandheling, Lintong or Gayo Mountain or Hawaii Kona
coffee, chocolate, cinnamon or vanilla ice cream (4 cups)
Sweetened whipped cream, chocolate-covered espresso beans, milk chocolate curls, and/or unsweetened cocoa powder
- For the spiced coffee: Place cardamom pods or cinnamon sticks and whole cloves in a small resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Use the flat side of a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy skillet to break the spices into small pieces. In a medium saucepan, combine the crushed spices and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Add the finely ground coffee. Bring back boiling; remove from heat. Cover; steep for 3 minutes at room temperature.
- Set a very fine mesh wire sieve over a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Strain the mixture through the sieve; discard the grounds and spices. Thoroughly rinse the sieve under running water. Set the sieve over another 2-cup glass measuring cup. Strain the mixture again; discard the grounds. Cool to room temperature. Cover; chill for 4 to 24 hours. Stir before using.
- In a blender or food processor, combine half of the ice cream and half of the spiced coffee. Cover and blend or process until almost smooth. Pour into chilled, tall milkshake-style glasses. Repeat with remaining ice cream and spiced coffee.
- To serve, garnish each serving with a dollop of whipped cream, a chocolate-covered espresso bean, some milk chocolate curls and/or a sprinkle of unsweetened cocoa powder. Makes 4 (10-ounce) servings.
- Mocha-Cacao Coolers: Prepare as above except add 2 to 4 tablespoons bourbon, 2 to 4 tablespoons rum and 2 to 4 tablespoons creme be cacao or coffee liqueur to the spiced coffee after chilling.
(Spiced Coffee and Cream Sipper)Servings Per Recipe 4, Niacin (mg) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 4, sugar (g) 35, sodium (mg) 106, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, fiber (g) 1, cal. (kcal) 443, calcium (mg) 263, Potassium (mg) 180, vit. C (mg) 1, carb. (g) 42, iron (mg) 1, vit. A (IU) 826, pro. (g) 8, Riboflavin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 84, Fat, total (g) 29, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 18