Holiday Orange-Eggnog Punch
- Makes: 22 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Chill 4 hrs
egg yolks, lightly beaten
frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
ounce can (1/3 cup)
frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
quart (4 cups)
French vanilla or vanilla ice cream
lemon-lime carbonated beverage or ginger ale, chilled
Freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg, or grated white baking chocolate and orange peel twists (optional)
Strawberry Eggnog (see recipe)
- In a heavy medium saucepan, stir together egg yolks, milk, and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture just coats a metal spoon; do not let boil. (Should take about 25 minutes and register 170 degrees F to 175 degrees F on instant-read thermometer). Remove from heat.
- Place the pan in a sink or bowl of ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in orange juice and lemonade concentrates and vanilla. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Just before serving, cut ice cream in small chunks or scoops; put in a punch bowl. Slowly pour lemon-lime carbonated beverage over ice cream. Stir in chilled egg mixture. If you like, sprinkle each serving with nutmeg or white chocolate and add an orange twist. Makes 22 (4-ounce) servings.
- Strawberry Eggnog: Prepare as above, except omit the 1/2 of a 6-ounce can (1/3 cup) frozen lemonade concentrate. Substitute 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries. If using fresh strawberries, remove stems and caps. For frozen strawberries, thaw the berries after measuring; do not drain.
- Strawberry Eggnog: In a blender or food processor, add strawberries. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Set a fine mesh sieve over a bowl. Strain strawberries through the sieve; discard the seeds. Stir orange juice concentrate, strawberry puree and vanilla into egg mixture. Complete as directed.
- Strawberry Eggnog: If you like, substitute strawberry ice cream for the vanilla ice cream. Garnish each glass rim with a whole strawberry that's been split lengthwise.
(Holiday Orange-Eggnog Punch)Servings Per Recipe 22, sodium (mg) 35, iron (mg) 0, calcium (mg) 71, carb. (g) 20, Fat, total (g) 6, chol. (mg) 83, vit. C (mg) 11, sat. fat (g) 4, vit. A (IU) 292, cal. (kcal) 146, pro. (g) 3