- Yield: 18 cookies
- Prep 40 mins
- Chill 30 mins
- Cool 1 mins
- Bake 15 mins
Hamentaschen, a favorite Jewish dessert, are three-cornered pastry pockets that are stuffed with a sweet filling. Make them using your favorite fruit preserves.
desired flavor preserves, fig or prune filling, or Cream Cheese-Honey Filling
- For crust: In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, egg and vanilla. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball and divide into 2 equal parts. Cover and chill dough about 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a very well floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. (Keep the other half covered with a clean kitchen towel.) Using a 3 1/2- to 4-inch scalloped-edge cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Take the leftover scraps of dough and re-roll; continue re-rolling and cutting rounds until all the dough is used up.
- Place a rounded teaspoon of preserves or filling into the center of each round, brush edge with a little water, and fold the dough over the filling towards the center, pinching the dough together well, from edge to center to were it meets, forming a triangle with a small opening in the center.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Remove to wire rack and cool completely. Makes about 18 cookies.
Cream Cheese-Honey Filling
cream cheese, softened
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese, softened, and honey. I really like the combination of chestnut honey and cream cheese but any good honey would work well.
(Hamantaschen)Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, fiber (g) 1, sugar (g) 11, sodium (mg) 66, Potassium (mg) 33, cal. (kcal) 189, calcium (mg) 10, iron (mg) 1, pro. (g) 2, vit. A (IU) 243, carb. (g) 26, vit. C (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 9, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 33, sat. fat (g) 4, Niacin (mg) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 3, Folate (µg) 32