End of the Season Cherry-Lemon Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Bake 1 hr to 1 hr
Fresh lemon peel adds a citrus accent to the filling of this double-crust cherry pie. If you're a fancy pie maker, add a lattice top.
finely shredded lemon peel
fresh or frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see recipe below)
slightly beaten egg white
butter, cut up
Coarse sugar (optional)
Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, tapioca, and lemon peel. Add cherries. Gently toss until coated. Let mixture stand about 15 minutes or until a syrup forms, stirring occasionally. (If using frozen cherries, let mixture stand about 45 minutes or until fruit is partially thawed but still icy.)
- Meanwhile, prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, flatten one of the dough balls. Roll from center to edge into 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around a rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg white and water; brush some of the egg white mixture onto pastry in pie plate. Stir cherry mixture. Spoon the cherry mixture into pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Trim pastry to edge of pie plate. Roll remaining dough to a 12-inch circle; cut slits in pastry. Place pastry over filling; trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge. Brush with additional egg white mixture; sprinkle with coarse sugar, if you like. Place pie on a baking sheet.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with metal piecrust shield or foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes (50 minutes for frozen fruit). Remove shield or foil. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until center of filling is bubbly and top of pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack. If you like, serve pie with ice cream. Makes 8 servings.
- * For some almond flavor, sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped, toasted almonds into the bottom of the pastry just before adding the cherry mixture.
- * For a decorative finish, cut any pastry dough scraps into decorative cutouts. Place on a baking sheet and bake in 375 degree F oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Use to decorate top of baked pie.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- 2 1/4
- 8 - 10
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle cold water (1 tablespoon at a time) over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat until all of the dough is moistened. Divide dough in half; form each half into a ball.
(End of the Season Cherry-Lemon Pie)Servings Per Recipe 8, fiber (g) 3, chol. (mg) 8, carb. (g) 71, Fat, total (g) 20, cal. (kcal) 478, pro. (g) 5, sodium (mg) 258