Caramel Apple-Pie Grilled Pizza
- Makes: 6 servings
- Yield: One 10-inch pizza
- Prep 25 mins
- Grill 30 mins
- Stand 10 mins
Puff pastry creates a flaky, buttery crust for the apples and cinnamon in this dessert. Serve it warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
frozen puff pastry (1 sheet)
packed brown sugar
ground cinnamon or apple pie spice
Granny Smith or other cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges (2 1/2 cups)
scoops vanilla or cinnamon ice cream (3 cups)
caramel ice cream topping (optional)
- Thaw the pastry sheets at room temperature. Tear off a 26-inch piece of 18-inch-wide heavy foil. Wrap a 12-inch pizza pan in the foil, completely enclosing it. Grease the inside of the foil-lined pizza pan; set side.
- For pizza crust, unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll gently to flatten creases (you should have a 10-1/2-inch square). Cut a 10-inch circle from pastry (discard scraps). Place pastry circle on prepared pan. Prick pastry with a fork; set aside.
- For topping: In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in sugar mixture. Add apples. Cook about 3 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Spoon apple mixture over pastry.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange hot coals around edge of grill. Test for medium-hot heat over center of grill. Place pizza pan on rack in the center of grill. Cover; grill for about 30 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is puffed and golden brown. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-hot. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place pizza pan on grill rack. Grill as above.) Remove from grill; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Transfer pizza to a cutting board; cut into 6 wedges. Top each with a scoop of ice cream. If you like, drizzle with caramel ice cream topping. Serve immediately. Makes one 10-inch pizza (6 servings).
(Caramel Apple-Pie Grilled Pizza)Servings Per Recipe 6, calcium (mg) 111, cal. (kcal) 515, fiber (g) 2, sodium (mg) 278, Fat, total (g) 29, chol. (mg) 78, pro. (g) 4, vit. A (IU) 583, iron (mg) 1, carb. (g) 61, vit. C (mg) 2, sat. fat (g) 10