- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake 35 mins
These king-size, individual fruit-filled dumplings make a filling dessert. Serve them following a lighter meal so you can savor each delicious bite.
cooking apples, peeled and sliced (5 cups)
apple cider or apple juice
dark-colored corn syrup
butter or margarine, melted
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see recipe below)
- In a saucepan, combine the apples and apple cider. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until just tender.
- Stir in the corn syrup, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Combine the melted butter or margarine and the cornstarch. Stir into mixture in saucepan.
- Cook and stir the mixture over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Prepare pastry. Roll out 2/3 of the pastry to form a 15-inch square. Cut into four 7-inch circles. Ease pastry circles into four 10-ounce custard cups or baking dishes. Do not trim edges. Roll out remaining pastry to an 11-inch square. Cut into four 5-inch circles for top crusts.
- Fill each pastry-lined dish with 1/4 of the hot apple mixture. Top with remaining crust, cutting slits for steam to escape. Fold extra pastry under bottom crust and seal. Flute edges.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until crusts are golden. Cool slightly on wire rack. Serve the dumplings warm. Makes 4 servings.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- 6 - 7
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball.
(Apple Dumplings)Servings Per Recipe 4, cal. (kcal) 894, pro. (g) 6, carb. (g) 116, Fat, total (g) 47, calcium (mg) 40, chol. (mg) 32, vit. C (mg) 5, Thiamin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 3, vit. A (IU) 437, Folate (µg) 109, sugar (g) 63, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 10, sodium (mg) 444, Potassium (mg) 275, fiber (g) 5, sat. fat (g) 15, Monosaturated fat (g) 20, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0