Dark Mocha Mousse
- Makes: 6 servings
- Yield: 2 cups
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 10 mins
- Chill At least 4 hrs
A dollop of whipped cream foam crowns this rich, chocolatey mousse. For maximum fun, serve the mousse in espresso cups.
dark chocolate, chopped
instant espresso coffee powder
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- In a small saucepan bring 1/3 cup of the whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add chopped chocolate (do not stir). Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let stand at room temperature until slightly thickened.
- In a small bowl, dissolve coffee powder in water; set aside.
- In a small metal bowl or the top of a double boiler, beat egg yolks and sugar with a wire whisk until combined. Place over gently boiling water (metal bowl or upper pan should not touch water). Cook, stirring rapidly with a whisk, about 10 minutes or until egg mixture begins to thicken (160 degrees F). Remove from heat.
- Add coffee mixture to warm egg mixture; whisk until combined. Beat egg mixture with an electric mixer on medium speed about 5 minutes or until mixture is cool; set aside.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In a chilled mixing bowl, beat remaining 2/3 cup whipping cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream, one-third at a time, into egg mixture. Gently fold whipped cream-egg mixture, one-third at a time, into the chocolate mixture.
- Divide mixture evenly among 6 chilled espresso cups or small glasses. Cover and chill at least 4 hours. To serve, garnish with sweetened whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder, if desired.
(Dark Mocha Mousse)Servings Per Recipe 6, iron (mg) 2, cal. (kcal) 305, vit. A (IU) 757, Fat, total (g) 25, vit. C (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 178, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, fiber (g) 2, sodium (mg) 21, sugar (g) 16, Potassium (mg) 174, pro. (g) 4, calcium (mg) 51, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 15, Niacin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 21, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 8, Folate (µg) 18, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Thiamin (mg) 0