Crepe-Framed Eggs with Asparagus Hash
- Makes: 6 servings
- Yield: 6 crepes
- Hands On 30 mins
- Total Time 40 mins
The "windows" on this oven-baked brunch dish reveal a filling of chopped asparagus and pancetta, Gruyere and a sunny egg. When you slice the asparagus, think small, like diced onion. It may seem unorthodox to chop up those beautiful stalks, but it guarantees you get morsels of asparagus in every bite.
Basic, Whole Wheat, Herb or Buckwheat crepes, made in a 10-inch skillet (see recipe, Basic Crepes with Variations) with 1/4 cup batter each*, or purchased crepes
fresh asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced
small shallot, chopped
shredded Gruyere cheese
Fresh cracked pepper
- To make hash: In a medium skillet, cook pancetta over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until starting to brown, stirring occasionally. Add asparagus and shallot. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. (You may be able to fit all six servings on one pan, but we found it easier to use two.) Place one crepe on the baking sheet. Spoon about one-sixth of the hash into the center of the crepe, making a loose ring shape with the back of the spoon. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold in sides of crepe to make a square, partially covering hash and pressing firmly on the corners to help the crepe hold its shape. Carefully crack an egg in center of ring. Repeat with remaining filling and crepes.
- Sprinkle crepes with pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until eggs are cooked to desired doneness. Serve immediately because eggs will continue to cook and set as they sit.
- *Prep tip The crepes will fold more easily around the filling if you cook them lightly, so watch closely as you make the crepes and don't let them crisp at all.
- **Shopping tip Pancetta is a cured Italian meat available in large supermarkets. (Some stores even sell it already chopped.) If you can't find it, substitute bacon.
(Crepe-Framed Eggs with Asparagus Hash)Servings Per Recipe 6, vit. A (IU) 862, iron (mg) 2, vit. C (mg) 1, carb. (g) 13, sugar (g) 2, Potassium (mg) 190, Monounsaturated fat (g) 5, pro. (g) 16, calcium (mg) 186, Niacin (mg) 1, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 266, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, sat. fat (g) 11, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 348, cal. (kcal) 313, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 22, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Folate (µg) 68