- Makes: 32 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Chill At least 2 hrs
- Bake 8 mins per batch
Fun cookies to make for St. Patrick's Day--or any day. Kids like the color o-green, sparkle o-green sugar, and flavor o-mint.
butter (1-1/2 sticks)
peppermint extract or vanilla
Few drops green food coloring
Green colored sugar
- In a large mixer bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until softened (about 30 seconds). Add sugar and salt and beat until fluffy.
- Add the egg, peppermint extract or vanilla, and a few drops of green food coloring. Beat mixture well.
- With mixer on low speed gradually add flour to butter mixture and beat well.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Shape each part into a roll about 1 inch thick and about 8 inches long. Roll each in green colored sugar. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 1 week.
- Unwrap rolls. Slice crosswise so the slices are 1/4 inch thick. To shape each shamrock, place 3 slices of dough with sides touching in a shamrock shape on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cut a stem from a fourth slice and attach to the shamrock (save the rest of this slice for cutting other shamrock stems). Gently push the slices together so each leaflet curves in slightly.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. With a pancake turner lift the cookies onto a cooling rack to cool. Makes 32 cookies.
Make Ahead Tip
- Store the baked cookies in a tightly covered container at room temperature up to 3 days. Or, store the baked cookies in a freezer container in the freezer up to 2 weeks.
(Shamrock Cookies)Servings Per Recipe 32, Fat, total (g) 5, vit. C (mg) 2, carb. (g) 10, sat. fat (g) 3, chol. (mg) 19, pro. (g) 1, vit. A (RE) 52, cal. (kcal) 87, iron (mg) 0, sodium (mg) 67