Lemon on Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Yield: 16 cookies
- Prep 20 mins
- Cool 5 mins
- Bake 25 mins
finely shredded lemon peel
Lemon Icing (recipe follows)
Coarse decorating sugar, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and lemon peel. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Knead gently until dough comes together and forms a ball.
- To make wedges, on an ungreased cookie sheet, pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Make a scalloped edge. Cut circle into 16 wedges. Leave wedges in circle (do not separate).
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until edges start to brown and center is set. Recut circle into wedges while warm. Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack.
- Make Lemon Icing. Drizzle over wedges. Sprinkle with coarse decorating sugar, if you like. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze in a freezer container for up to 3 months. Makes 16 shortbread cookies.
sifted powdered sugar
lemon juice or vanilla
- In a small mixing bowl stir together sugar and lemon juice. Stir in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until icing is of drizzling or piping consistency.
(Lemon on Lemon Shortbread Cookies)cal. (kcal) 125, pro. (g) 1, sodium (mg) 41, vit. A (IU) 194, Fat, total (g) 6, carb. (g) 17, sat. fat (g) 4, iron (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 15, vit. C (mg) 1