Jaarsma's Dutch Letters
- Makes: 20 servings
- Prep 1 hr
- Chill 40 mins
- Bake 20 mins to 25 mins
cold butter (1 pound)
packed brown sugar
- For dough, in a large mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Cut cold butter into 1/2-inch-thick slices (not cubes). Add butter slices to flour mixture; toss until slices are coated and separated.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together egg and ice water. Add all at once to flour mixture. Using a spoon, quickly mix (butter will remain in large pieces and flour will not be completely moistened).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured pastry cloth. Knead the dough 10 times by pressing and pushing dough together to form a rough-looking ball, lifting pastry cloth if necessary to press the dough together. Shape the dough into a rectangle (dough still will have some dry-looking areas). Make corners as square as possible. Slightly flatten dough. Working on a well-floured pastry cloth, roll dough into a 15x10-inch rectangle. Fold 2 short sides to meet in center; bring top edge down to meet bottom edge to form 4 layers each measuring (rectangle will now measure 7-1/2x5 inches).
- Repeat the rolling and folding process once more. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes. Repeat rolling and folding process 2 more times. Chill dough for 20 minutes before using.
- For filling, in a small bowl, stir together egg white, almond paste, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the brown sugar. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough crosswise into 4 equal portions. Wrap 3 portions in plastic wrap and chill. On a well-floured surface, roll 1 portion into a 12-1/2x10-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle crosswise into five 10x2-1/2-inch strips.
- Shape a slightly rounded tablespoon of the filling into a 9-inch-long rope and place it down the center of one strip. Roll up the strip lengthwise. Brush edge and ends with water; pinch to seal. Place, seam side down, on an ungreased baking sheet, shaping strip into a letter (traditionally the letter "S"). Brush with water and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar. Repeat with remaining dough strips and filling. Repeat with remaining dough portions and filling.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from baking sheet. Cool on wire racks.
- For best results, use an almond paste made without syrup or liquid glucose.
(Jaarsma's Dutch Letters)Servings Per Recipe 20, sat. fat (g) 12, Monosaturated fat (g) 7, Fat, total (g) 22, Niacin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 59, Folate (µg) 234, sugar (g) 15, iron (mg) 2, calcium (mg) 40, sodium (mg) 257, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Potassium (mg) 94, fiber (g) 1, vit. A (RE) 12, cal. (kcal) 354, pro. (g) 4, carb. (g) 36, vit. A (IU) 282