Banana-Nut Sandwich Cookies
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Bake 9 hrs to 10 mins
banana nut muffin mix
packed brown sugar
butter or margarine, melted and cooled slightly
Nonstick cooking spray
sifted powdered sugar
butter or margarine, softened
white baking pieces or semisweet chocolate pieces
- For cookies: In a large bowl, stir together muffin mix, flour, and brown sugar. Add the melted and slightly cooled butter all at once. Using a fork, stir just till a soft dough forms. (If necessary, add enough milk to form dough.)
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat or lightly roll dough till 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick. Using a football-shaped cookie cutter (or desired shape cutter), cut out cookies. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 9 to 10 minutes or until cookies begin to brown. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling. For butter cream filling: In a medium bowl, beat powdered sugar, the 1/2 cup softened butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy. Spread a scant tablespoon of filling on bottom of 1 cookie; put together with another cookie, bottom side down, to make a cookie sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
- Place white or chocolate pieces and shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on Medium (50 percent) power for 1 to 2 minutes or until pieces are melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Cool slightly (about 5 minutes). Carefully transfer melted chocolate to a heavy resealable plastic bag. Cut off tip of one corner of bag. Pipe melted chocolate onto cookies to resemble laces on footballs. Makes 12, 2-1/2- to 3-inch sandwich cookies.
(Banana-Nut Sandwich Cookies)Servings Per Recipe 12, vit. A (IU) 583, pro. (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 359, calcium (mg) 40, iron (mg) 1, sat. fat (g) 12, chol. (mg) 46, sodium (mg) 266, Fat, total (g) 22, carb. (g) 38