Coconut-Mocha Poached Pears
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Slow Cook 3 hrs to 4 hrs (low)
ripe yet firm fresh pears
unsweetened cocoa powder
unsweetened light coconut milk
coffee liqueur or strong coffee
Light frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed (optional)
Toasted coconut* (optional)
Grated chocolate (optional)
- Peel pears; quarter pears lengthwise and remove cores. Place pears in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. In a bowl stir together sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in coconut milk, coffee, and liqueur. Pour mixture over pears in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until pears are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to dessert dishes. Spoon cooking liquid over pears. If desired, top with dessert topping; sprinkle with coconut and chocolate.
- * To toast coconut, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread coconut on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
- For Easy Cleanup: Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
- Pressure Cooker Instructions Peel pears; quarter lengthwise and remove cores. Place pears in a 6-qt. multifunction electric or stove-top pressure cooker. In a small bowl stir together sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in coconut milk, coffee, and liqueur. Pour mixture over pears in cooker.
- Pressure Cooker Instructions Lock lid in place. Set electric cooker on high pressure to cook 5 minutes. For stove-top cooker, bring up to pressure over medium-high heat; reduce heat enough to maintain steady (but not excessive) pressure. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat. For both models, quickly release pressure. Open lid carefully. Follow step 3 above for serving pears.
(Coconut-Mocha Poached Pears)Servings Per Recipe 8, Folate (µg) 8, Monounsaturated fat (g) 0, sugar (g) 21, sodium (mg) 7, iron (mg) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Potassium (mg) 173, chol. (mg) 0, fiber (g) 4, calcium (mg) 10, carb. (g) 29, Thiamin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 1, Riboflavin (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 125, vit. A (IU) 49, pro. (g) 1, vit. C (mg) 5, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Niacin (mg) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sat. fat (g) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0