Cocoa and Brown Butter Shortbread Bites
- Makes: 36 servings
- Yield: 36 cookies
- Hands On 40 mins
- Total Time 3 hrs
Browned butter infuses irresistible nuttiness into these four-ingredient cookies without sullying their essential simplicity or sandy texture. Dip them in satiny chocolate for effortless glamor.
butter, cut up
unsweetened cocoa powder
bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- In a medium light-color* (such as stainless steel) saucepan or skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Continue to cook, stirring until butter turns golden brown and brown specks form in bottom of pan. Transfer to a medium bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until almost firm. (If butter becomes completely firm, let it sit at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, sugar and cocoa. With an electric mixer, beat butter for 1 to 2 minutes until creamy. Stir in flour mixture until mixture begins to come together. Press dough together and form an 8-inch square on a prepared baking sheet.**
- With a sharp knife, score top of dough about 1/4 -inch deep into 36 pieces. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees . Cut cookies along scored lines; place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake until firm, about 20 minutes. Cool completely on baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, microwave chocolate and shortening at 50 percent power for 1 minute; stir. Continue heating and stirring chocolate at 10- to 15-second intervals until smooth. Dip cookies halfway in chocolate, scraping excess chocolate from bottoms on bowl rim. (You may need to spread chocolate on the last few.) Place on parchment-lined cookie sheet. When chocolate is set, transfer to an airtight container and store for up to 5 days.
- *Tip Using a light-colored skillet or saucepan allows the browned butter specks to be seen easily, so you're less like to burn the butter.
- **Alternate Method Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with a 8-inch wide strip of parchment paper over lapping 2 sides by about 1 inch. Press dough into prepared pan. Using the paper, lift the dough out of pan and continue recipe.
(Cocoa and Brown Butter Shortbread Bites)Servings Per Recipe 36, Fat, total (g) 7, chol. (mg) 14, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 4, Riboflavin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 1, vit. C (mg) 0, pro. (g) 1, calcium (mg) 5, cal. (kcal) 107, vit. A (IU) 159, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 41, sugar (g) 5, Potassium (mg) 39, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Folate (µg) 13, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, carb. (g) 12, Niacin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0