- Makes: 12 servings
- Hands On 38 mins
- Total Time 5 hrs
One brown-paper-wrapped, seasonal tart at a time, Allison Gnade and Thomas Agran of Burrowing Owl Bakery have established themselves as a fixture at Iowa City's downtown farmers market. Their Citrus-Berry Tart has a crisp shortbread crust filled with orange pastry cream. They would scatter the berries casually on top, but we couldn't resist stripes. Some Fourth of July traditions are worth keeping around.
butter, cut in 8 pieces, at room temperature
cup plus 1 tablespoon
butter, cut in 4 pieces
orange or lemon zest
Fresh blueberries and/or chopped strawberries
Citrus curls (optional)
Shortbread Pastry Crust
- For pastry: In a large bowl, whisk together flour and powdered sugar. Using a pastry blender or fingers, cut or rub in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and clings together. (Or, in a food processor, pulse flour and powdered sugar. Add butter. Pulse several times, until mixture clings together.)
- Press pastry into the sides and bottom of a greased 10-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork. Chill for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees .
- Bake pastry shell 15 minutes or until very light brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Remove shell; place on a serving plate.
- For filling: In a medium nonreactive saucepan, bring milk and salt to just under a boil over medium heat. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and cornstarch. Add eggs to bowl; whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk 1/2 cup of the warm milk into the egg mixture, then pour egg mixture back into the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Let cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the 4 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, followed by the zest. Place the bowl in ice water; let stand 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press plastic wrap onto surface. Chill 4 hours or until cold.
- To assemble: Spread filling in the tart shell. Sprinkle with berries and citrus curls (or arrange berries in stripes). Serve immediately or chill, covered, up to 24 hours.
(Citrus-Berry Tart)Servings Per Recipe 12, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 31, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 14, cal. (kcal) 266, vit. A (IU) 473, iron (mg) 1, sat. fat (g) 8, Riboflavin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 66, Thiamin (mg) 0, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 170, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, pro. (g) 4, calcium (mg) 57, sugar (g) 20, Potassium (mg) 93, Monounsaturated fat (g) 4, carb. (g) 33, Niacin (mg) 1