Chocolate-Smeared Baguette with Quick Citrus Jam
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 20 mins
- Broil 1 mins to 2 mins
You could serve the zingy Quick Citrus Jam on its own with buttered bread or English muffins, but for special occasions, try this extra-indulgent breakfast combo of melted chocolate on bread with the jam.
loaf baguette-style French bread
dark or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
Quick Citrus Jam (recipe follows)
- Start by preparing the Quick Citrus Jam. (Note that the jam has to cool completely before serving; it can be made up to 1 week in advance.)
- To make Chocolate-Smeared Baguette, cut baguette crosswise into three pieces. Split each piece horizontally. Place bread pieces, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Brush cut sides with melted butter.
- Broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Sprinkle chocolate evenly over bread. Broil 30 to 60 seconds more or until chocolate just starts to melt. Place baking sheet with bread on a wire rack. Let stand 1 minute. Spread chocolate evenly over bread tops.
- Serve warm baguette pieces with Quick Citrus Jam.
Quick Citrus Jam
freshly squeezed orange juice
cara cara or navel oranges
chopped, seeded kumquats
- In a medium saucepan, bring orange juice, sugar and honey to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely shred 1 teaspoon zest from one of the tangerines; set zest aside. Cut the peel, including all the white pith, from the tangerines and oranges. Discard the peels. Cut sections from the tangerines and oranges, removing seeds.
- Add the tangerine and orange sections, reserved tangerine zest and the kumquat pieces to the sugar mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until kumquat pieces are tender and mixture is the consistency of thin jam. (You should have about 1 1/3 cups.) Remove from the heat and cool completely. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
(Chocolate-Smeared Baguette with Quick Citrus Jam)Servings Per Recipe 6, sugar (g) 41, fiber (g) 5, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, cal. (kcal) 431, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 67, chol. (mg) 16, vit. A (IU) 727, pro. (g) 6, Fat, total (g) 13, carb. (g) 76, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 8, Niacin (mg) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 4, sodium (mg) 354, Potassium (mg) 382, Folate (µg) 38, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, calcium (mg) 66, iron (mg) 2