Chocolate Hazelnut Cream Cheese Puffs
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Cool 10 mins
- Bake 30 mins to 40 mins
Dawn Logterman of Verona, Wisconsin, created this clever twist on the classic cream puffs served at the Wisconsin State Fair. Her recipe was a finalist in our annual recipe contest.
butter, cut into eight pieces
all- purpose flour
cream cheese, softened
chocolate-hazelnut spread (Nutella®)
frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- For pastry: In a medium saucepan combine the water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Immediately add flour all at once; stir vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Drop 12 heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Prick puffs with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and 1/3 cup of the chocolate-hazelnut spread. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Fold in the whipped topping until combined. Cover and chill until serving.
- Just before serving, cut tops from puffs; remove soft dough from inside. Spoon about 1/3 cup filling into bottom half of puff. Replace top half.
- Place the remaining 1/3 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 100% (high) power for 30 to 45 seconds or until softened, stirring once. Using a spoon, drizzle spread over puffs. Serve immediately; refrigerate leftovers.
(Chocolate Hazelnut Cream Cheese Puffs)Servings Per Recipe 12, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 21, sat. fat (g) 12, chol. (mg) 104, sodium (mg) 215, pro. (g) 5, Fat, total (g) 23, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sugar (g) 5, cal. (kcal) 318, Folate (µg) 29, vit. C (mg) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, vit. A (IU) 580, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Monounsaturated fat (g) 4, iron (mg) 1, fiber (g) 0, calcium (mg) 32, Potassium (mg) 63, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Niacin (mg) 1