Shortcut German-Chocolate Cake
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake 36 mins
- Cool 10 mins
Coconut, pecans and caramel make a sweet sauce for a twist on German chocolate cake.
coarsely chopped sweet baking chocolate
Dutch processed or unsweetened cocoa powder
Toasted Coconut-Pecan Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
- For cake: Grease a 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pan; line bottom with parchment paper. Grease parchment paper; set pan aside. In a blender or food processor, combine pecans, sugar, chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda, pulsing until nuts are ground. Add eggs and vanilla. Blend or process till nearly smooth.
- Spread nut mixture in the prepared pan. Bake in a 350 degrees oven about 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted near center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- To serve, cut into wedges and place on dessert plates. Drizzle with Toasted Coconut-Pecan Caramel Sauce.
Toasted Coconut-Pecan Caramel Sauce
12 1/4 -
caramel ice cream topping (room temperature)
- Spread coconut and pecans in a thin layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 6 to 8 minutes or till the coconut is toasted and the nuts are golden brown, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven. In a medium bowl, stir together caramel ice cream topping, coconut and pecans. Serve immediately or warm slightly in microwave before serving. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
(Shortcut German-Chocolate Cake)Servings Per Recipe 8, vit. C (mg) 0, sodium (mg) 269, iron (mg) 2, vit. A (IU) 194, pro. (g) 8, calcium (mg) 121, cal. (kcal) 526, Fat, total (g) 28, carb. (g) 63, sat. fat (g) 5, chol. (mg) 133, fiber (g) 4