German Chocolate-Nut Cake
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake 30 mins
Coconut, pecans, and caramel ice cream topping make a sweet sauce to top the cake in this dessert recipe.
coarsely chopped sweet baking chocolate
Dutch processed or unsweetened cocoa powder
Toasted Coconut-Pecan Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
- Grease a 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pan; line bottom with waxed paper. Grease waxed paper; set pan aside. In a blender or food processor, combine pecans, sugar, chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Cover; blend or process till nuts are ground. Add eggs and vanilla. Blend or process till nearly smooth.
- Spread nut mixture in the prepared pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted near center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- To serve, cut into 16 wedges. Place 1 wedge on each dessert plate, drizzle with sauce. Place another wedge on top at a different angle. Drizzle with more sauce. Makes 8 servings.
Toasted Coconut-Pecan Caramel Sauce
12 1/4 -
caramel ice cream topping (room temperature)
- Spread coconut and pecans in a thin layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake the coconut and nuts in a 350 degree F oven for 6 to 8 minutes or till the coconut is toasted and the nuts are golden brown, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven. In a medium bowl, stir together caramel ice cream topping (room temperature), coconut and pecans. Serve immediately or heat slightly in microwave before serving. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
(German Chocolate-Nut Cake)Servings Per Recipe 8, sat. fat (g) 5, iron (mg) 2, calcium (mg) 121, chol. (mg) 133, fiber (g) 4, sodium (mg) 269, carb. (g) 63, vit. A (IU) 194, Fat, total (g) 28, cal. (kcal) 526, pro. (g) 8