Chili Bean Stuffed Peppers
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Slow Cook 6 to 6 1/2 hours (low) or 3 to 3 1/2 hours (high)
Beans, tomato, onion: it's a hearty vegetarian chili stuffed inside a bell pepper. If you're looking for extra kick, try topping with pepper jack instead of mozzarella.
small to medium
green, red, or yellow sweet peppers
vegetarian baked beans, undrained
cooked converted rice
no-salt-added tomato sauce
finely chopped onion (1 small)
shredded Monterey Jack cheese (3 ounces)
Chili powder (optional)
- Remove tops, seeds, and membranes from sweet peppers. Chop enough tops to make 1/3 cup; set aside. If necessary, cut a thin slice from the bottom of each pepper so it will stand flat.
- In a medium bowl stir together beans and cooked rice; spoon into peppers. Pour tomato sauce into a 4 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker; stir in onion and the reserved 1/3 cup chopped pepper. Place filled peppers, filling sides up, in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 6 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- To serve, transfer peppers to dinner plates and, if desired, cut in half. Spoon tomato mixture over peppers. Sprinkle with cheese and, if desired, chili powder.
(Chili Bean Stuffed Peppers)Servings Per Recipe 4, High-Fat Meat () 1, sodium (mg) 522, vit. C (mg) 1, carb. (g) 47, Fat, total (g) 7, Vegetables () 2, cal. (kcal) 314, pro. (g) 13, vit. A (IU) 1409, Fat () 1, chol. (mg) 19, Starch () 2, sat. fat (g) 4, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, sugar (g) 20, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, fiber (g) 9, Carb Choice () 2