Spiced Chicken with Cucumber-Mint Sauce
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Grill 50 mins
- Stand 15 mins
olive oil or canola oil
bottled minced garlic or 12 cloves garlic, minced
grated fresh ginger
bone-in chicken breast halves (2-1/2 to 3 lb. total)
pita bread rounds
Cucumber-Mint Sauce (see recipe) or purchased mango chutney
Lime slices (optional)
- In small bowl, combine oil, garlic, garam masala, ginger and salt. Brush mixture onto both sides of the chicken. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- For a charcoal grill: Arrange preheated coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place chicken, skin side down, on the grill rack over the drip pan. Cover; grill 25 minutes. Turn chicken skin side up. Cover and grill for 25 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in chicken registers 170 degrees F. (For a gas grill: Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust heat for indirect cooking. Place chicken, skin side down, on grill rack on unlit side. Cover and grill as above). For the last 2 minutes of grilling, place pita rounds on grill rack to heat, turning once during grilling.
- Make the Cucumber-Mint Sauce, if you're using it.
- To serve, garnish chicken with lime slices, if you like. Serve with pita and sauce or purchased chutney. Serves 6.
- *For homemade garam masala, combine 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.
low-fat plain yogurt or one 8-ounce carton light dairy sour cream
snipped fresh mint
- Peel cucumber. Halve lengthwise; seed and thinly slice. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt or sour cream and fat-free milk. Stir in cucumber and snipped fresh mint. Cover and chill until serving time. Makes about 2 cups.
(Spiced Chicken with Cucumber-Mint Sauce)Servings Per Recipe 6, pro. (g) 39, cal. (kcal) 510, Fat, total (g) 21, carb. (g) 38, iron (mg) 3, calcium (mg) 151, vit. C (mg) 3, vit. A (IU) 146, Folate (µg) 77, sugar (g) 4, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 4, sodium (mg) 617, Potassium (mg) 511, fiber (g) 2, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 5, Monosaturated fat (g) 10, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 15, chol. (mg) 98, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1