Spiced Chicken with Cucumber-Mint Sauce
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Stand 15 mins
- Grill 50 mins
Garlic, garam masala and fresh ginger season the chicken in this Indian-inspired recipe from The Spice House shop in Milwaukee. The refreshing yogurt-based sauce is similar to traditional cucumber raita.
olive oil or canola oil
bottled minced garlic or 12 cloves garlic, minced
grated fresh ginger
meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs and drumsticks)
pita bread rounds
Cucumber-Mint Sauce (recipe follows)
Lime wedges (optional)
- In small bowl, combine oil, garlic, garam masala, ginger and salt. Brush mixture onto both sides of the chicken. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place chicken, skin side down, on the grill rack over the drip pan. Cover; grill 25 minutes. Turn chicken skin side up. Cover and grill for 25 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in chicken registers 170 degrees . (For a gas grill: Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust heat for indirect cooking. Place chicken, skin side down, over burner that is turned off. Cover and grill as above). For the last 2 minutes of grilling, place pita rounds on grill rack to heat, turning once during grilling.
- Serve chicken with pita, Cucumber-Mint Sauce and, if you like, lime wedges.
- *For homemade garam masala, combine 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.
medium english cucumber
low-fat plain yogurt (3/4 cup)
snipped fresh mint
Ground black pepper
- Halve cucumber lengthwise. Scrape out seeds with a spoon; discard seeds. Thinly slice cucumber; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together yogurt and snipped fresh mint. Gently stir in sliced cucumber. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Chill, covered, until serving time. Makes about 2 cups.
(Spiced Chicken with Cucumber-Mint Sauce)Servings Per Recipe 6, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, pro. (g) 32, cal. (kcal) 529, Fat, total (g) 27, carb. (g) 38, iron (mg) 3, calcium (mg) 146, vit. C (mg) 5, vit. A (IU) 201, Folate (µg) 79, sugar (g) 4, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 5, sodium (mg) 612, Potassium (mg) 440, fiber (g) 2, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 7, Monounsaturated fat (g) 13, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 10, chol. (mg) 98, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0