Showstopper Chicken Surprise
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Bake 12 mins
Smoked cheese melts inside chicken breasts for this easy entree. A bread crumb coating gives the chicken golden color and a crispy crunch.
large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/3 pounds)
shredded smoked Rofumo cheese or smoked Gouda, Edam or cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
eggs, slightly beaten
fine dry bread crumbs
peanut oil or other cooking oil
- Using a sharp knife, cut a pocket in the side of each chicken breast half. Stuff each pocket with about 1/4 cup of cheese. Secure openings with wooden toothpicks, if needed.
- In a shallow dish, stir together flour, salt and pepper. Place eggs in another shallow dish, and place bread crumbs in a third shallow dish. Coat stuffed chicken breasts in flour mixture. Dip floured chicken in beaten eggs, then coat well with bread crumbs.
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken 2 to 3 minutes per side or till browned.
- Transfer skillet to a 375 degree F oven and bake, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes or till chicken no longer is pink.
- To reduce the sodium , use reduce the cheese to 1/2 cup and omit the salt.
(Showstopper Chicken Surprise)Servings Per Recipe 4, carb. (g) 23, cal. (kcal) 417, chol. (mg) 211, Fat, total (g) 15, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 1016