Hot Sauce & Cola Chicken Wings
- Makes: 4 to 12 servings
- Yield: 4 or 6 main-dish servings or 12 appetizer servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Marinate 5 hrs
- Roast 20 mins
Bottled hot-pepper sauce and bubbling cola give the chicken wings a sweet hotness in this appetizer.
chicken wings (about 4 1/2 pounds), tips removed
bottle hot-pepper sauce
garlic cloves, minced
recipe Avocado Salsa (recipe follows)
- Place the chicken wings in a large heavy, self-sealing plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour the 12-ounce can of cola over the chicken wings. Seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or for up to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain the chicken wings, discarding the cola marinade. Return wings to bag; pour the hot-pepper sauce over the chicken wings. Close bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain the chicken wings, discarding the hot-pepper sauce marinade.
- In a very large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook 12 chicken wings in the hot oil over medium heat till brown on all sides. Remove from skillet; place in a well-greased, foil-lined large roasting pan. Repeat with the remaining chicken wings, adding more oil, if necessary. Reserve the pan drippings. Bake chicken wings in a 450 degree F oven for 20 minutes or till tender and no longer pink.
- For sauce: In the same skillet, cook and stir garlic over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the 1/4 cup cola. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 minute or till liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Whisk in butter till melted and the sauce is thickened. Keep warm.
- To serve, spoon Avocado Salsa into the center of 4 or 6 dinner plates. Place 4 or 6 of the chicken wings around the salsa. Drizzle the warm sauce over the chicken wings.
medium avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and finely chopped
snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 - 1/2
crushed red pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine medium avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and finely chopped; large tomato, finely chopped; green onions, finely chopped; snipped fresh cilantro; rice vinegar; lime juice; cloves garlic, minced; crushed red pepper and salt. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
(Hot Sauce & Cola Chicken Wings)Servings Per Recipe 4, Fat, total (g) 52, chol. (mg) 181, cal. (kcal) 637, sodium (mg) 271, fiber (g) 5, carb. (g) 15, pro. (g) 31