Herbed Oven-Fried Chicken
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Marinate 4 hrs to 24 hrs
- Bake 30 mins
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 pounds total)
buttermilk or sour milk*
kosher salt or 1/4 teaspoon regular salt
egg, lightly beaten
panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or fine dry bread crumbs
dried thyme, crushed
dried savory, crushed
ground black pepper
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag set in a bowl.
- For marinade, in a small bowl, stir together buttermilk and half of the salt. Pour over chicken. Seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. In a small bowl, combine egg and the water. In a shallow dish, mix panko, sage, thyme, savory, pepper and the remaining salt. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Dip chicken pieces, one at a time, into egg mixture; coat with crumb mixture.
- In prepared baking pan, arrange chicken so pieces are not touching. Sprinkle with any remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Do not turn pieces while baking. Makes 4 servings.
- * To make 1 cup sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using it in a recipe.
- Curried Oven-Fried Chicken: Prepare as above, except substitute 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder for the sage, thyme, and savory.
(Herbed Oven-Fried Chicken)Servings Per Recipe 4, pro. (g) 38, Riboflavin (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 262, Thiamin (mg) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Niacin (mg) 16, sat. fat (g) 1, sugar (g) 3, chol. (mg) 137, vit. C (mg) 2, Fat, total (g) 4, iron (mg) 2, carb. (g) 15, vit. A (IU) 97, calcium (mg) 91, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Potassium (mg) 452, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 453, Monosaturated fat (g) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 16