BBQ Chicken Grilled Pizza
- Makes: 6 to 8 servings
- Yield: four 10- to 12-inch pizzas
- Prep 35 mins
- Grill 2 mins to 3 mins per batch
Use your favorite barbecue sauce and your favorite smoked cheese to personalize these easy chicken pizzas.
Homemade Pizza Crust *(see Recipe Center)
of a medium red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin, bite-size strips or chicken tenders, halved
cloves garlic, minced
purchased barbecue sauce
bottled banana pepper rings
smoked mozzarella, smoked Gouda or provolone cheese, shredded (2 cups)
Asiago or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely shredded (1 cup)
medium basil or arugula leaves, torn or cut into thin strips
- Prepare Homemade Pizza Crust.
- For topping: In a large nonstick skillet, cook onion in 2 teaspoons of the hot oil over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; remove onion from skillet with a slotted spoon. Add 1 teaspoon oil, the chicken and garlic to skillet; cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Stir in barbecue sauce. Heat through. Transfer to a bowl; cover and keep warm. Add banana pepper rings to onion; set aside.
- For pizza: Remove pizza dough circles from freezer, discarding waxed paper and brush tops with some olive oil.
- For a charcoal grill, carefully slide 2 of the pizza dough circles, oiled side down, onto a lightly oiled rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until dough is puffed in some places and starting to become firm. Carefully turn the crusts with tongs, transferring them from rack to the back of a baking sheet. Working quickly and carefully, brush oil over grilled top of crust.
- For each pizza, sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the smoked mozzarella and 1/4 cup of the Asiago. Top with 1/4 of the chicken mixture and 1/4 of the onion mixture. Transfer the pizzas from the baking sheet to the rack. Grill for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes more or until cheese is melted and crust is crisp. Remove pizzas from grill. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-hot. Place dough circles on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Repeat grilling with remaining 2 dough parts and toppings. Transfer pizzas to a cutting board. Top with basil. Serve immediately.
- *You may substitute four 10- to 12-inch packaged prebaked pizza crusts.
(BBQ Chicken Grilled Pizza)Servings Per Recipe 6, sodium (mg) 1036, fiber (g) 3, chol. (mg) 83, sat. fat (g) 12, cal. (kcal) 669, calcium (mg) 394, pro. (g) 35, vit. A (IU) 389, iron (mg) 5, carb. (g) 63, vit. C (mg) 6, Fat, total (g) 30