BBQ Chicken Grilled Pizza
- Makes: 6 to 8 servings
- Yield: four 10- to 12-inch pizzas
- Prep 35 mins
- Grill 2 mins to 3 mins per batch
Use your favorite barbecue sauce and your favorite smoked cheese to personalize these easy chicken pizzas.
Homemade Pizza Crust *(see Recipe Center)
of a medium red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin, bite-size strips or chicken tenders, halved
cloves garlic, minced
purchased barbecue sauce
bottled banana pepper rings
smoked mozzarella, smoked Gouda or provolone cheese, shredded (2 cups)
Asiago or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely shredded (1 cup)
medium basil or arugula leaves, torn or cut into thin strips
- Prepare Homemade Pizza Crust.
- For topping: In a large nonstick skillet, cook onion in 2 teaspoons of the hot oil over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; remove onion from skillet with a slotted spoon. Add 1 teaspoon oil, the chicken and garlic to skillet; cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Stir in barbecue sauce. Heat through. Transfer to a bowl; cover and keep warm. Add banana pepper rings to onion; set aside.
- For pizza: Remove pizza dough circles from freezer, discarding waxed paper and brush tops with some olive oil.
- For a charcoal grill, carefully slide 2 of the pizza dough circles, oiled side down, onto a lightly oiled rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until dough is puffed in some places and starting to become firm. Carefully turn the crusts with tongs, transferring them from rack to the back of a baking sheet. Working quickly and carefully, brush oil over grilled top of crust.
- For each pizza, sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the smoked mozzarella and 1/4 cup of the Asiago. Top with 1/4 of the chicken mixture and 1/4 of the onion mixture. Transfer the pizzas from the baking sheet to the rack. Grill for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes more or until cheese is melted and crust is crisp. Remove pizzas from grill. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-hot. Place dough circles on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Repeat grilling with remaining 2 dough parts and toppings. Transfer pizzas to a cutting board. Top with basil. Serve immediately.
- *You may substitute four 10- to 12-inch packaged prebaked pizza crusts.
(BBQ Chicken Grilled Pizza)Servings Per Recipe 6, fiber (g) 3, vit. A (IU) 389, calcium (mg) 394, vit. C (mg) 6, iron (mg) 5, sat. fat (g) 12, chol. (mg) 83, sodium (mg) 1036, Fat, total (g) 30, carb. (g) 63, pro. (g) 35, cal. (kcal) 669