Chicken-Broccoli Alfredo Casserole
- Makes: 6 to 8 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Bake 25 mins
Sure, the creamy Alfredo sauce is an indulgence, but this family-friendly recipe is loaded with healthy ingredients, too -- multigrain pasta, fresh veggies and lean chicken breast.
dry multigrain or whole grain penne pasta
fresh broccoli florets
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
sliced cremini or button mushrooms
red sweet pepper, chopped
onion, halved and thinly sliced
light Alfredo sauce
shredded reduced-fat Italian blend cheeses (6 ounces)
plain or whole wheat panko (Japanese-style) bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli for the last 4 minutes of cooking time. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a very large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Add mushrooms, pepper and onion to the same skillet. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add Alfredo sauce and chicken. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Spread half of the pasta and broccoli mixture in a 3-quart au gratin or baking dish. Top with half the chicken mixture and all of the cheese. Top with remaining pasta and broccoli and chicken mixtures.
- In a small bowl, combine panko and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle evenly over casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until top is golden and casserole is heated through.
- *Substitution Although we prefer the creamy indulgence of Alfredo sauce in this recipe, it does work just fine with tomato sauce.
(Chicken-Broccoli Alfredo Casserole)Servings Per Recipe 6, Folate (µg) 156, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Monounsaturated fat (g) 4, sodium (mg) 1133, fiber (g) 5, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, pro. (g) 33, calcium (mg) 340, sugar (g) 7, Potassium (mg) 535, Fat, total (g) 24, vit. C (mg) 69, cal. (kcal) 536, vit. A (IU) 1462, iron (mg) 3, carb. (g) 46, Niacin (mg) 10, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 11, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 111