Cherry Phosphate Icebox Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Bake 7 mins to 8 mins
- Chill 5 hrs
A humble pie if you ever saw one, this unassuming potluck star has an almondy crust and a yogurt-based filling that mimics the acidic tang of a phosphate. Amaretti (Italian almond cookies) are available at large supermarkets. You can substitute graham cracker crumbs.
Nonstick cooking spray
finely crushed amaretti cookies (about 4 1/2-ounces)
ground toasted almonds
15- to 16.5-ounce can pitted dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup
3-ounce package cherry-flavored gelatin
plain Greek yogurt
Fresh dark sweet cherries with stems
Sliced almonds, toasted
- Lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Set aside.
- For the crust: In a medium bowl, stir together crushed cookies, ground almonds and sugar. Drizzle the melted butter over mixture; toss until coated with butter. Spread cookie mixture in prepared pie plate; press evenly onto bottom and sides.
- Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool completely on a wire rack. Set aside.
- For filling: Drain cherries, reserving syrup. Quarter cherries; set aside. Add enough water to syrup to measure 1 cup liquid.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the 1 cup liquid to boiling; remove from heat. Add gelatin; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Pour gelatin mixture into a large bowl. Add yogurt by spoonfuls, stirring until combined. Chill 1 hour 30 minutes or until mixture mounds when spooned. Fold cherries into yogurt mixture. Chill again, if necessary, until mixture mounds. Turn into baked shell. Chill 4 to 6 hours or until set.
- Before serving, garnish chilled pie with whipped cream, fresh dark sweet cherries with stems and sliced almonds. Chill, covered, to store.
(Cherry Phosphate Icebox Pie)Servings Per Recipe 8, Folate (µg) 8, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 38, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 20, carb. (g) 43, iron (mg) 1, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 11, calcium (mg) 93, sat. fat (g) 9, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, vit. A (IU) 521, Monounsaturated fat (g) 6, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, cal. (kcal) 372, sugar (g) 37, sodium (mg) 150, pro. (g) 9, Potassium (mg) 169, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, fiber (g) 2