Cherry-Glazed Ham with Fresh Basil
- Makes: 18 to 22 servings
- Hands On 25 mins
- Total Time 2 hrs
When shopping, look for a ham with the lowest possible percentage of water. Choose an unglazed ham, and if your ham comes with a glaze packet, discard it. While you can choose either the butt half or the shank half, the butt half will give more succulent texture and a more distinct flavor.
cooked ham (shank portion or rump half)
red wine vinegar
snipped fresh basil
cherry jam, large pieces snipped
snipped fresh basil
Coarsely chopped fresh basil, optional
- Using a sharp knife, score the top and sides of the ham in diagonal or crisscross cuts, about 1/4 inch deep and 1 inch apart. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until vinegar is reduced to 2/3 cup. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup snipped basil. Let stand for 5 minutes. Strain out basil and discard. Add jam to vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and reduced to 2 cups. Divide mixture in half and set aside.
- Place ham, with the flat side of exposed meat facedown, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Add 2 cups of water to the bottom of the pan. Brush the top and sides of the ham with about 1/3 cup of the glaze. Cover ham and pan completely with foil.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Bake the ham at 325 degrees for 13/4 to 21/4 hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the ham (don't touch the bone) registers 125 degrees . Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees . Uncover and brush ham with 1/3 cup of the remaining glaze. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until ham reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees , brushing once with some of the remaining glaze after about 10 minutes.
- Tent ham loosely with foil and let rest 20 minutes before serving. Meanwhile, stir the 1 tablespoon of basil into the remaining half of the cherry mixture; pass as a sauce. If you like, garnish the ham with fresh basil leaves.
- Molasses-Bourbon Barbecue Glaze In a medium saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion; cook for 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add 2/3 cup molasses, 1/4 cup coarse ground mustard, 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons bourbon (if desired) and 1/2 teaspoon hot or mild chili powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Use as directed above in place of the Cherry Basil Glaze and omit sprinkling the chopped fresh basil over the sliced ham.
- Molasses-Bourbon Barbecue Glaze Nutrition analysis per serving: 347 calories, 38 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 17 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 10 g total sugar, 2% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 1345 mg sodium, 4% calcium, 16% iron
(Cherry-Glazed Ham with Fresh Basil)Servings Per Recipe 18, chol. (mg) 110, Thiamin (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 15, vit. C (mg) 3, cal. (kcal) 389, vit. A (IU) 78, iron (mg) 3, pro. (g) 39, calcium (mg) 21, carb. (g) 25, sat. fat (g) 3, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Niacin (mg) 11, sugar (g) 18, Potassium (mg) 596, fiber (g) 0, sodium (mg) 1286, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 6