- Makes: 8 to 10 servings
- Yield: 2 3/4 cups
- Hands On 15 mins
- Total Time 20 mins
Classic cheese fondue is a splurge in every sense--but it's also guaranteed bliss. (And you don't even need a fondue pot!) CJ Bienert, owner of The Cheese Shop of Des Moines shares his easy recipe.
dry un-oaked white wine (such as Jura, Vin de Savoie or Sauvignon)
freshly shredded Gruyere or mixed fondue cheeses*
Assorted dippers such as dry bread cubes**, dry smoked sausage or pan-fried smoked sausage, sliced pears or apples, roasted beets or steamed Brussels sprouts
- In a large bowl, toss the cheese with the cornstarch until evenly dusted.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the wine and garlic to a simmer over medium heat. Stir cheese mixture into the saucepan, about one-fourth at a time. Let mixture return to a gentle simmer between additions. Stir until fully melted and smooth.
- Transfer fondue to a fondue pot and serve immediately. (You can also use a double boiler or a small slow cooker set to "keep warm.") To keep the fondue nice and smooth, stir the forked bread or meat in a figure-eight motion through the cheese as you dip. Round out the meal with salad and wine.
- * Use all Gruyere, or a mix of 10 ounces Gruyere and 3 ounces each of Emmentaler and Appenzeller. Grate just before melting, CJ says. Cheese dries out quickly, and its flavor can change when exposed to air. (And pro tip: Always buy 10 percent or so more cheese than the recipe calls for to cover the waste of the rinds.)
- **DRY BREAD CUBES The choice of dippers is up to you, but sourdough or pumpernickel bread is a must. Use a day-old loaf, and dry out the cubes a little by leaving them exposed to air for a few hours or popping them briefly into a warm oven. "Don't worry about the bread being too hard," CJ says. "It'll soften in the hot cheese."
(Cheese Fondue)Servings Per Recipe 8, sugar (g) 0, Potassium (mg) 69, fiber (g) 0, sodium (mg) 378, cal. (kcal) 259, pro. (g) 17, Fat, total (g) 18, vit. C (mg) 0, vit. A (IU) 558, sat. fat (g) 11, Riboflavin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 60, Thiamin (mg) 0, calcium (mg) 572, Monounsaturated fat (g) 6, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, carb. (g) 2, Niacin (mg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 7