Caramelized Onion-and-Cranberry Cheese Toasts
- Makes: 32 to 36 servings
- Yield: 32 to 36 toasts
- Prep 25 mins
- Slow Cook 5 hrs to 6 hrs (low) or 2-1/2 to 3 hours (high)
thinly sliced sweet onions, such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla
apple, such as Rome Beauty or Jonathan, peeled and coarsely chopped
fresh or frozen cranberries
butter, cut up
packed brown sugar
1/4-inch slices baguette-style French bread, toasted
soft goat cheese (chevre)
Fresh cilantro or parsley leaves (optional)
- In a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker combine onions, apple, and cranberries. Top with butter. In a small bowl combine vinegar, brown sugar, and orange zest; pour over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or high 2-1/2 to 3 hours. (If no heat setting is available, cook 4 hours.)
- Spread toasted bread slices with cheese. Using a slotted spoon, spoon 1 tablespoon onion mixture onto each toast. If desired, top with cilantro or parsley.
- For a creamier variation, stir 4 oz. softened cream cheese into the goat cheese before spreading onto toasted bread slices.
(Caramelized Onion-and-Cranberry Cheese Toasts)Servings Per Recipe 32, cal. (kcal) 56, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 0, sugar (g) 2, sodium (mg) 82, iron (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Potassium (mg) 35, vit. A (IU) 100, vit. C (mg) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 2, Monounsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 12, fiber (g) 1, calcium (mg) 18, pro. (g) 2, carb. (g) 6, Fat, total (g) 2, chol. (mg) 5