- Yield: about 1 pound candy (20 pieces)
- Prep 45 mins
- Chill 1 hr
milk chocolate, finely chopped (don't use milk chocolate pieces)
sifted unsweetened cocoa powder or 1/3 cup finely chopped toasted almonds, pecans, or walnuts
- Place chocolate in a small saucepan. In another small saucepan, heat whipping cream just to boiling, stirring constantly. Pour over chocolate; cover pan and let stand for 3 to 4 minutes or until chocolate melts. Stir until blended, smooth, and glossy. (The mixture may look curdled, but keep stirring and it becomes smooth.) Cover and refrigerate about 15 minutes or until well chilled.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a waxed-paper-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- With palms of hands, roll each piece of candy into a ball. Roll balls in the cocoa powder or chopped nuts to coat evenly. Serve candy at room temperature. To store, place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes about 1 pound candy (20 pieces).
- Mint-Chocolate Truffles: Follow the recipe above, except stir in 1/4 teaspoon mint extract after the chocolate and whipping cream have been blended.
- Orange-Chocolate Truffles: Follow the recipe above, except stir in 1 teaspoon orange extract after the chocolate and whipping cream have been blended. Substitute 1 cup toasted coconut for the cocoa powder.
(Chocolate Truffles)carb. (g) 10, cal. (kcal) 106, calcium (mg) 10, pro. (g) 2, vit. A (IU) 49, sodium (mg) 14, fiber (g) 1, sat. fat (g) 4, vit. C (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 7, chol. (mg) 8, iron (mg) 1