Best-Ever Peanut Brittle
- Yield: About 1-3/4 pounds
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 45 mins
Packaging tip: Any plain gift box with a lid will feel decadently special when you wrap the lid and bottom separately.
light-colored corn syrup
raw Spanish peanuts or raw peanuts
- Butter two large baking sheets; set the baking sheets aside.
- Butter the sides of a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Add sugar, corn syrup, and water; stir to combine. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until the mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to side of the pan. Add the peanuts; cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thermometer registers 280 degree F to 285 degree F (soft-crack stage; about 45 minutes).
- Remove from heat; remove the thermometer. Quickly sprinkle baking soda and salt over mixture, stirring constantly until foaming subsides.
- Immediately pour candy onto the prepared baking sheets. Spread as thinly as possible, using greased spoons or two greased forks to pull mixture. Cool.
- Break candy into pieces. Store at room temperature in an airtight container. Makes about 1-3/4 pounds.