Candied Citrus Peel
- Makes: 24 servings
- Yield: about 1 cup
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 15 mins
- Stand 1 hr
If you can resist munching on all these chewy, sweet citrus bits, you'll find plenty of ways to use them in your kitchen. We like stirring chopped peel into granola or cookie batter, sprinkling it over vanilla ice cream, or dipping the pieces in chocolate. Keep in mind that lime peel does not taste particularly good when candied.
large oranges or lemons, 3 tangerines, or 1 grapefruit*
- With a paring knife, score the skin of the oranges lengthwise into quarters, cutting to the surface of the fruit. Remove the quartered peel, reserving fruit for another use. With a spoon, scrape away the peel's white pith. (If pith is left on, peels will be bitter.) Cut peel into strips.
- In a covered 2-quart saucepan combine the 1 1/3 cups of sugar and the water. Bring to boiling over medium heat. Add citrus peel strips. Return to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until peel is almost translucent. (Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over entire surface.)
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer peel to a wire rack set over waxed paper.** When the peel is cool enough to handle but still warm and slightly sticky, toss it in additional sugar to coat. Let dry on the rack for 1 to 2 hours more, then store, tightly covered, in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week. (Or freeze up to 6 months.)
- * You can save the rinds from citrus fruit you use in a zip-top bag in the refrigerator to use for candied peel.
- * After removing the candied peel, you can reserve the citrus-flavor syrup for drizzling over pancakes, muffins or cakes.
(Candied Citrus Peel)Servings Per Recipe 24, chol. (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 0, cal. (kcal) 25, Potassium (mg) 8, vit. A (IU) 15, calcium (mg) 6, vit. C (mg) 5, iron (mg) 0, sugar (g) 6, pro. (g) 0, sat. fat (g) 0, carb. (g) 6, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 1, fiber (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 0, sodium (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0