Calico Corn Bread Dressing
- Makes: 6 to 8 servings
- Yield: about 6 cups
- Prep 1 hr
- Bake 32 mins
- Chill Up to 12 hrs
Cranberries and apple simmer with red onion, ginger and mustard seeds for a spiced variation on traditional sauce. Try it on a sandwich with leftover turkey.
fresh cracked pepper
medium onion, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
stalks celery, thinly sliced (1 cup)
Cornbread for Dressing, coarsely crumbled*
dried apricots, cut into strips
snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
snipped fresh sage
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Put stems in a small saucepan with chicken broth, thyme, sage sprig and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, slice mushroom tops 1/4-inch thick. Place mushrooms, onion, carrots and celery in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt; stir to coat. Roast, uncovered, in a 425 degrees F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until just tender and beginning to brown, stirring once.
- Remove from oven; add crumbled Corn Bread for Dressing, apricots, parsley, and snipped sage. Stir until combined. Using a slotted spoon, remove mushroom stems, thyme stems, and sage sprig from broth and drizzle over corn bread mixture.**
- Bake, uncovered, in a 425 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and slightly crisp on top.
- Cornbread for Dressing In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups cornmeal, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using your fingers, rub 1/4 cup butter (cut into cubes) into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. (Or use a handheld pastry blender.) Add 3/4 cup buttermilk and one egg. Stir with a fork until dough comes together, adding drizzles of buttermilk, if necessary, to moisten. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, press dough to 1/2-inch-thickness. (Don't worry about the shape.) Bake in a 400 degrees oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and crisp on the edges. When cool enough to handle, coarsely crumble. Use immediately or chill in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Cornbread for Dressing
- Cornbread for Dressing
- * Our corn bread is thin and dry so that it can be baked and crumbled right away for dressing. You can substitute 7 cups of any crumbled dried corn bread.
Make Ahead Tip
- ** At this point, cover and refrigerate up to 12 hours. Remove from refrigerator 45 minutes before baking. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees when you remove the turkey from the oven. Bake dressing while turkey rests.
(Calico Corn Bread Dressing)Servings Per Recipe 6, carb. (g) 53, Monosaturated fat (g) 7, chol. (mg) 54, sat. fat (g) 6, sodium (mg) 1101, cal. (kcal) 390, Fat, total (g) 17, pro. (g) 9, iron (mg) 2, sugar (g) 8, calcium (mg) 206, vit. C (mg) 7, Potassium (mg) 518, vit. A (IU) 4179, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 4, Folate (µg) 68, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, fiber (g) 5, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2