White Three-Layer Butter Cake
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep 1 hr
- Bake 30 mins
- Stand 30 mins
This moist three-layer cake will shine at even the most elegant parties. It's frosted with a mixture of cream cheese and white chocolate.
sifted cake flour or 2-1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
half-and-half or light cream
Unforgettable White Chocolate Frosting (see recipe below)
- Grease and lightly flour three 8x1-1/2-inch or 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar and the vanilla; beat until fluffy. Add the flour mixture alternately with half-and-half to creamed mixture, beating on low to medium speed after each addition just until combined.
- Clean beaters. In another large bowl, beat egg whites on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1 cup sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold the egg whites, about 1/4 at a time, into creamed mixture. (If necessary, transfer mixture into a larger bowl.)
- Divide mixture into prepared pans. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 30 minutes for 8-inch rounds and about 25 minutes for 9-inch rounds or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean*. Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove the layers from the pans and completely cool on wire racks.
- Frost with Unforgettable White Chocolate Frosting. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Makes 16 servings.
- * If necessary, refrigerate one filled cake pan while baking the other two cake layers.
Unforgettable White Chocolate Frosting
chopped white chocolate baking squares or bars
cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2
butter, cut into pieces
- In a heavy saucepan, melt white chocolate over low heat. Cool until slightly warm. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add butter pieces to cream cheese; beat until fluffy. Gradually add cooled chocolate, beating until well blended.
(White Three-Layer Butter Cake)Servings Per Recipe 16, cal. (kcal) 671, Fat, total (g) 45, carb. (g) 61, chol. (mg) 62, sodium (mg) 473