- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Bake 25 mins
Yellow cake mix and butterscotch-flavored pieces make up this easy dessert.
2-layer-size yellow cake mix
recipe Butterscotch Frosting (see recipe below)
- In a small saucepan, heat water and the butterscotch-flavored pieces together until the pieces are just melted. Cool for about 10 minutes. Grease and flour two 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pans or two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans. Set the pans aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, oil, cinnamon, and butterscotch mixture. Beat with electric mixer, as directed for cake mix. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 25 minutes for 9-inch layers or 35 minutes for 8-inch layers or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread top with some of the Butterscotch Frosting. Place second layer on top. Spread side and top of cake with frosting. Store in refrigerator. Serves 12.
cream cheese, softened
sifted powdered sugar
butterscotch-flavored pieces, melted and cooled
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese; 3 cups sifted powdered sugar; butterscotch-flavored pieces, melted and cooled; lemon juice; and cinnamon until well combined. Beat in enough additional powdered sugar (about 1 cup) to make the frosting spreadable.