- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cool 5 mins
- Bake 12 mins
Cheddar cheese and sausage help make these buttermilk scones an irresistible side dish for scrambled eggs at breakfast or soups and salads at lunch.
bulk pork sausage
shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-low heat until brown, breaking meat into small pieces. Drain fat and set meat aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and baking powder. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and sausage. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; add buttermilk all at once. Using a fork, stir until just moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead about 20 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth.
- On lightly floured surface, pat half the dough into 3/4-inch-thick circle. Using a 2-1/2-inch floured biscuit cutter, cut out dough. Place scones 1 inch apart on ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 16 servings.
(Sausage-Cheese Scones)Servings Per Recipe 16, sodium (mg) 350, Fat, total (g) 15, cal. (kcal) 268, carb. (g) 25, chol. (mg) 43