North Woods Rye Bread
- Makes: 32 servings
- Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices total)
- Prep 20 mins
- Rise 1 hr
- Stand 10 mins
- Bake 30 mins
Studded with raisins and made with just the right amount of brown sugar and molasses, this Swedish-inspired rye bread is hearty and satisfying.
4 -4 1/2
active dry yeast
packed brown sugar
medium rye flour
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour and yeast; set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat and stir water, sugar, molasses, shortening, and salt until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and shortening is almost melted. Add to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl constantly.
- Using a spoon, stir in rye flour. Stir in raisins and as much remaining all-purpose flour as you can. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining all-purpose flour to made a moderately stiff dough that's smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes).
- Shape dough into a ball. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Lightly grease two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans or two baking sheets. Punch down dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into two portions. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape each portion into a loaf or a 6-inch round. Place in prepared pans or on baking sheets. (If you like, use a sharp knife to make 1/4-inch-deep cuts in a crisscross design in the tops of the round loaves.) Cover and let rise until nearly doubled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack. Makes 2 loaves (32 slices total).
(North Woods Rye Bread)Servings Per Recipe 32, carb. (g) 22, sodium (mg) 12, cal. (kcal) 113, Fat, total (g) 2