Homemade Pizza Crust
- Yield: 4 pizza crusts
- Prep 30 mins
- Rise 45 mins
- Freeze 30 mins
semolina flour or whole wheat flour
active dry yeast
warm water (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F)
kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon regular salt
- In food processor, combine flour, semolina and yeast. In a small bowl, combine water, oil, honey and salt. With processor running, pour water mixture through feed tube in a steady stream. Process until dough forms a mass and cleans sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding additional flour as needed to keep dough from sticking. Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough into 4 equal portions with a serrated knife. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Pat each piece of dough into a disk. On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion out to a very thin, rough circle that measures 10 to 12 inches in diameter (don't worry if pizza is not perfectly round, that adds to the charm.)
- Separating each pizza dough circle with sheets of waxed paper, stack the circles on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Wrap and freeze dough until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Proceed as directed with your choice of pizza toppings. Dough may be transferred to 2-gallon freezer bags and stored in freezer for up to 1 month.
- This dough makes delicious grilled or traditional round pizzas. Dough can be made using a bread machine, adding the liquid ingredients first, dry ingredients next, and yeast last. Put the machine on the Dough setting. Add additional liquid or flour as need to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Italian Bread Shell Crust : Use four 12-inch (10-ounce) thin Italian bread shell (such as Boboli®). Proceed as directed in Homemade Pizza Crust, Step 6. Makes 4 pizzas.
- Frozen Bread Dough Pizza Crust: Use 1 pound frozen whole wheat or white bread dough, thawed. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 4 equal portions. Roll out and proceed as directed in Homemade Pizza Crust, Step 4. Makes 4 pizzas.
(Homemade Pizza Crust)Fat, total (g) 2, sodium (mg) 81, cal. (kcal) 88, pro. (g) 2, carb. (g) 15, fiber (g) 1, iron (mg) 1