Boston Lettuce Stacks with Grilled Peaches, Feta and Pecans
- Makes: 4 servings
- Hands On 20 mins
- Total Time 28 mins
This easy summer salad pairs the textures and flavors of buttery, slightly sweet and crisp Boston lettuce with grilled warm peaches and crunchy nuts.
bottled light balsamic vinaigrette
orange juice or apple juice
finely snipped fresh chives or green onion
ripe peaches or small pears
Boston lettuce or Bibb lettuce leaves (about 2 heads)
broken pecans or walnuts, toasted*
dried cranberries, dried cherries and/or golden raisins
crumbled feta cheese, semi-soft goat cheese (chevre) or blue cheese
Ground black pepper (optional)
- For dressing: In a screw-top jar, combine vinaigrette, orange juice, honey and chives. Cover and shake well. Set aside.
- Cut peaches in half lengthwise; remove pits. (If using pears, halve lengthwise and core.) Brush cut sides of peaches with some of the dressing. Set remaining dressing aside.
- Grill peaches, cut sides down, on the rack of a covered gas or charcoal grill directly over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, tender and warmed through. Turn once halfway through grilling. Remove from grill and cut into wedges.
- To assemble salads, stack four lettuce leaves on each of four salad plates. Drizzle evenly with the remaining dressing. Arrange peaches on lettuce. Sprinkle with pecans, cranberries and feta. If desired, grind black pepper over the salads. Serve while peaches are warm.
- * To toast a small amount of nuts, place them in a small cast iron skillet directly on the rack of an covered grill directly over medium heat. (Or on medium heat of regular range top.) Heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until nuts are aromatic, lightly golden and toasted. (Be sure to watch carefully to avoid burning.) Toast larger amounts of nuts in a shallow baking pan in a 350 degrees F oven for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
(Boston Lettuce Stacks with Grilled Peaches, Feta and Pecans)Servings Per Recipe 4, Monounsaturated fat (g) 3, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Folate (µg) 36, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 4, Potassium (mg) 436, calcium (mg) 71, Thiamin (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 189, sodium (mg) 275, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Fat, total (g) 8, vit. C (mg) 15, vit. A (IU) 1701, carb. (g) 32, iron (mg) 1, sugar (g) 26, fiber (g) 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Niacin (mg) 2, chol. (mg) 6, sat. fat (g) 2